Monday, October 20, 2014

5 Ways To Get Protein Into Your Daily Diet



5 Daily Proteins
.via.

When I started the journey over a year ago to get to a healthier me; I knew that meant I not only needed to get into the gym on a regular basis, but also needed to start feeding my body correctly. I started searching the internet and learning from my wellness coach, the importance of a well balanced diet and how protein was essential!

In order for my muscles to grow and repair, I needed to consume protein every single day. Protein controls my metabolism, regulate my hormones and helps with resistance. The secret to building strong healthy bones, hair, teeth, nails, muscles, tissues and organs is the proper amount of intake of protein; as well as hydration and your daily vitamins.

I also learned that if you are not getting enough protein into your daily diet, it is destructive to your body. My body, as well as yours, need the nutrients from protein every single day. I never realized the importance of protein until I learned that if we do not intake the proper amount, our body resorts to practically ‘eating’ itself for the amino acids that it needs. In return, our immunity goes down and we become weaker. 

Today, I thought I would share with you 5 different ways you can increase your protein intake.

Side Note: Just because a food items has a certain amount of protein in it, your body doesn’t utilize 100% of that. A percentage actually becomes calories – which is why it is important to get the proper amount of protein for your body weight. You need 1 gram of protein daily for each kilogram of your body weight; a 140 pound woman needs a minimum of 60 grams of protein.

5 ways to get protein into your daily diet - Life in the Sunshine
MEAT
Red meat, poultry and fish are the best choices to receive the best source of protein. Make sure that when you do choose to use this source though, you are picking fresh meat and not preservative meats. The leaner the meat cut is, the better it will be for you. Also, always choose white over brown when it comes to poultry.

EGGS + MILK
If you are like me, I don’t consume meat every single day. I really like to get protein from eggs and milk as well. Remember to drink your milk, your bones will thank you for it! I love to fix my eggs different ways, but my favorite by far is to make stuffed bell peppers. Bake your Bell Peppers for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. Then fill with some Diced Ham and Veggies + One Egg scrambled. Bake for an additional 20 minutes. Soooooo Good!

NUTS
Seriously, this is an awesome way of getting a little extra protein into your diet and not even realizing it. I will snack on some nuts for a mid-day snack with a thing of string cheese. Did you know that nuts are good for your brain and heart? Plus, they are loaded with fiber for you digestion! Score!

SOY + BEANS + LEGUMES
I learned this from a friend who was vegan – You can get all the protein you need for an entire day by just eating Soy, Beans and Legumes. I knew that they all carried protein and that is how vegetarian’s received their protein, but I had no idea that they contain that much protein in them. She recommends to try a Black Bean Burger or Tofu Tacos.

VEGGIES
Don’t forget your veggies! Greens may be a sideline to that big hunk of meat or black bean burger you want to devour; but don’t let your greens fool you! Artichokes, Asparagus, Avocados, Broccoli, Mushrooms and especially Spinach are great sources of protein when it comes to your veggies.

Southwestern Stuffed Spaghetti Squash | 5 Ways To Get Protein Into Your Daily Diet | Life in the Sunshine Blog
.original recipe.
I love this Southwestern Stuffed Spaghetti Squash recipe for a couple of reasons. Sure, it the recipe itself I awesome just the way it is, but you can mix and change it to your own liking. Sometimes I want to add shredded chicken or beef to it. Sometimes I don’t add the spice from the jalapeno pepper. It is just a great way to incorporate Meat + Beans + Veggies into one single dish! Score for your protein! Plus, it heats up really well the next day for lunch.!


Are you getting enough protein in your diet? 
Do you have Tips/Tricks to adding more protein daily? 
I want to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment